In today’s world, innovation is everything.
One of the ways innovation is being used is by having everything, from cars to even your fridge be connected to the Internet.
The era of “smart” devices has taken over today’s world in many ways. One such trend that has gained momentum is smart door locks.
And if you’re wondering, “how does a smart door lock work?”, you’ll find the answers you need here.
As your trusty companion, I’ll share the ins and outs of smart door locks so you can determine if this device is a good choice for you or not. And, if you do decide that it’s a good fit, I’ve got another helpful guide for you to get the best possible deal: my cheapest smart door lock reviews.
In simple terms, it can prove to be a convenient luxury for many families that are concerned for security that’s ineffective through conventional means.
Some people may also question if they actually need a smart door lock, but having one is an exponential upgrade from basic functionality. It can also make life easier, giving you a sense of control and constant notifications on when the door should be locked.
Now, let’s dig into the details on how a smart door lock actually works.
How Does a Smart Door Lock Work Exactly?
A smart door lock is a keyless door lock that allows your door to be opened without the need for a physical key. This can be accessed through a smartphone app. There are also certain varieties that have a keypad embedded on the lock so that an access code can be entered.
A smart door lock connects to your home’s Internet connection. This is what allows the lock to receive the code or for the smartphone command to either unlock or lock the door.
Certain smart locks require a complete replacement of the lock system, but others can fit right over the existing setup on the door.
When integrated into a smart home, smart door locks also have the capacity to integrate themselves with other devices, such as a speaker or security system. However, this would require a specialized hub that allows all of the devices to co-exist with each other.
The power of Bluetooth technology comes into play here.
As long as there’s a stable connection, you’ll be able to have access to your lock and other valuable information. This information includes:
- push notifications that you can customize in your phone’s settings
- a log of who has accessed the home (or attempted to)
- the ability to send out virtual keys
Virtual keys are temporary codes that are sent from your smartphone to another person’s device. This allows that person to access your home without you having to be present.
Smart locks also come in handy in terms of organizing your security. If you happen to notice someone who shouldn’t be at the house at a specific time, you’ll see it through either failed attempts or a notification sent out.
You’ll also be able to tell exactly when someone who lives in your home has arrived or left (i.e. children getting home from school or a family member that leaves without your permission).
The best part is that all you really need is a smartphone to make this all work.
Additionally, we’ve all had times when we’re in a rush and either misplace our keys or forget to lock the door when leaving. And instead of having to rely on the conventional key or go all the way back home to lock the door, all you have to do is download an application on your smartphone, and that will provide you with everything that you need to gain access to your home.
Advantages of Having a Smart Door Lock
There are many advantages that come with having a smart lock.
- One of the primary benefits that you’ll see is that it will help keep your home more secure. Smart locks effectively eliminate the chance that someone swipes one of your conventional keys. And since you won’t have to make extra copies of the key, there will be fewer methods of entry required for opening the door.
- Smart locks can be set to lock the door after a certain amount of time, or whenever the smartphone connected to the lock has left the vicinity. Other smart locks also contain specialized features that can help you keep a log of who tried to access the house and what codes were used. This can prove to be convenient in case of an emergency.
- Having a smart lock can also allow you to authorize access to your home to people you trust, such as your friends and your family. This can be something useful if you happen to be the owner of a vacation property or travel a lot. What makes this feature very special is that you can even set a certain time frame for when users are allowed to enter your home. Or, if you’re feeling extra generous, you can allow certain people unlimited access to the house.
Of course, some smart door lock systems also know when only you are home and can either keep the door locked or unlocked per your preference.
And, since the system can detect when you’re either home or away, you can take solace in the fact that it’s always working on your behalf to make sure your family, friends, and possessions are safe.
Now, if this sounds like something you want, be sure to check out my cheapest smart door lock reviews. That guide helps you find the best possible device for the lowest price.
Now you know how does a smart door lock work and how to find a good deal.
I hope you enjoyed the information in this guide and find the best smart door lock for your home!